2015 HELICOPTER MECHANIC OF THE YEAR TO KEVIN LEDERHOS
ORLANDO, Florida, March 3, 2015 - Helicopter Maintenance magazine announces that Kevin Lederhos has been selected as the recipient of its 2014 Helicopter Mechanic of the Year award!
53 year old Lederhos, from Tumwater, WA, is Lead of Technical Development for Northwest Helicopters LLC in Olympia WA.
According to Lederhos’ nomination for the award, “Kevin started his mechanic career at the age of 18 and became a licensed A&P shortly after. He has done nothing else in his adult life besides work on helicopters. As we go through our careers in aviation we really only see two types of individuals; ones that see working in aviation as their job and ones that see it as their passion. Kevin is truly passionate about helicopter maintenance.”
Lederhos experience includes:
- Licensed Airframe and Power plant mechanic with over 30 years aviation experience and management including:
- Field experience in remote locations including villages of the Yucatan in Mexico, U.S. fire contracts and logging operations.
- Lead mechanic on at least 18 helicopter type certifications with "ground up" restoration including Bell 205 (UH) series, Sikorsky (S58T & HH52) and Kaman HH-43.
- Completed and /or assisted in repairs related to service use, phase/ 100hr/ annual inspections on Bell UH-1 series, Kaman (Kmax and HH-43), Sikorsky (S58T and HH-52), Hughes 500 and Hiller 12E helicopters.
- Proficient at troubleshooting airframe and electrical systems.
- Proficient with weight and balance data and weighing of aircraft.
- Extensive knowledge of the Honeywell T53 series engines. Familiar with P&W PT6 series engines.
- Experienced in performing sheet metal repairs, performing hundreds of minor and major repairs. Knowledge of materials and practices. Proficient in FAA form 337 applications and submissions.
- Good working relationship and extensive experience with FAA ACO, PMI's, DER's and DAR's for repairs, original certifications and continued airworthiness.
Helicopter Maintenace magazine’s Helicopter Mechanic of the Year award is given each year to a dedicated helicopter maintenance professional who has contributed significantly throughout his lifetime to helicopter safety and has an exemplary record of service to the helicopter industry.
The recipient is selected from nominations submitted to Helicopter Maintenance magazines advisory committee. The award winner is presented with a Trophy and a check that consists of contributions by companies who choose to support excellence in helicopter maintenance. This year, $7,000 was awarded to Mr. Lederhos. Companies that contributed include: Safran Turbomeca, Helicopter Specialties, Cool City Avionics, Concorde, Dallas Airmotive, Dyncorp International, Airbus Helicopters, Sandel, Vector Aerospace, Greenwich AeroGroup, Helicopter Maintenance magazine, Nighflight Concepts, Pratt & Whitney Canada, and MD Helicopters.
About Helicopter Maintenance magazine: Helicopter Maintenance magazine is the only publication that is dedicated to serving helicopter maintenance professionals worldwide. Its subscribers are more than 7,800 helicopter maintenance professionals who service and maintain helicopters in all segments of the helicopter industry.