G’Day, Charlie here:
Here is a procedure to update the ST3400 TAWS configuration when installing a loaner or repaired unit.
If you are replacing a unit that has a serial number less than 2000 with a unit that has a serial above 2000, you will start at step 14.
If you are replacing a unit with serial numbers in the same range, follow steps 1-14:
- Remove the unit from aircraft after loosening the four outside retaining screws. Note: be careful of the connectors on the back of the unit and make sure connectors are labeled do not reverse cables.
- Remove the Config. Module from the defective unit and place it on loaner or exchange unit.
- Install the new unit in aircraft, hooking up the connectors to their respective plugs (careful not to reverse P1 & P2).
- Retighten the four retaining screws to secure the unit.
- Power up the unit and enter maintenance mode by holding the BRG1 & BRG2 buttons at the same time.
- When unit comes up you will get the following message “Config Module Error”.
- Write “CONFIG to 3400” you will be asked to select “YES” (push Yes).
- After you have completed the write function, recycle power and re-enter maintenance mode.
- You will get a CONFIG ERROR. Now Write the “3400 to CM” and select “YES”.
- Reset CKT breaker to recycle power to the ST3400.
- Verify software and settings are correct on screen.
- If the original unit had the Traffic option you will not be able to use that unit’s TCAS key on the loaner. You must contact the factory with the old serial number and new serial number to get another TCAS KEY.
- If you are installing the original repaired unit and you have your original key, you can enter it now. This completes the configuration.
- If this is a unit that fall’s into the serial number note at the top of the page then you will need to boot up in maintenance mode and copy down the configuration of the ST3400 first before removing the defective unit.
- Once in maintenance mode at the “CONFIG MOD Page” press the “Disable Config” soft key. By pressing the “VUE” button you can access the maintenance pages. Starting with Page 2, copy the setup for each page. This will be used to program the loaner/exchange unit. Once this is done, go to steps 1 thru 6. After step 6 is complete go to step 16.
- At the “INDEX Page” press the “Disable Config” soft key. Press the RMI button on the lower right to put the unit in “Edit” mode. By pressing the “VUE” button you can access the maintenance pages. Use the “UP & DOWN ARROW” soft keys to move the cursor to the required field on each page. Use the BRG1 & BRG2 button to change the selection.
- Recycle power and re-enter maintenance mode.
- You will get a CONFIG ERROR. Now Write the “3400 to CM” and select “YES”. Once at the “INDEX Page” advance thru the page and verify the programming is correct. Reset CKT breaker to recycle power to ST3400. At this time you can boot up normally.